One day at a time.

 


One day at a time,

it's supposed to take 21 days

for something to shape into a new habit.

I'd ask,

How long would it take to break one?

You'd shown places so beautiful

I never imagined of.

Addiction,

was what you were called by 'em all

yet you felt like home;

Rapidly intoxicating layers of my body,

and then my mind.

Who knew you and I, weren't meant to be?

So I went on to give up on you.

Day one

And I'd started looking at the world

Far beyond your eyes, distinctly in despair.

Toxic thoughts and tiring times,

your presence was all that my skin craved for.

Six days straight

I howled in pain, draining denial

with my tears that rolled down every night.

For the next one week,

Agitating voices echoed all day long

eternally whispering how perfectly we fit in together

like forgiveness was all you desired.

For now, I know you were an awful dream

by and by that I chased absurdly.

In the four days that followed

Therapies and self-care

were the new normals,

And the pain was left to let go, bit by bit

filling out the void you've created,

wilfully.

The last three days traced my walks

into painted daisies and brighter sunshines.

Smiles grew wider and my heart

a lil' lighter,

The air smelled of liberation

and the nights never felt more serene.

It's supposed to take 21 days

to make a new habit.

And one day at a time,

it takes 21 days to break one too.

 -J.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To My Younger Self,

Growing Up.

Everyday Little Things.